Visa and passport

Visa and passport. What should you bear in mind?


Do you want to know if you need a visa to enter Spain, depending on your country of origin and what types of visas there are, according to the duration of your stay, and how to obtain them? Here you will find information on all of this.

  • When you need visas and entry requirements

    The passport or travel document is always necessary and must be valid for up to three months after the expected date of departure from the Schengen territory, and must have been issued within the previous 10 years to the date of entry. Citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland can enter Spain with their national identity document or with their valid and current passport (unaccompanied minors travelling with an identity document must travel with a document certifying their parent or guardian's permission).

    Tourists of certain nationalities require a valid visit visa currently in force. The visit visa will not be necessary if the traveller has a residence permit or a long-stay visa issued by a Schengen State.

    The authorities may also request that the reason for the trip be indicated and justified with documentation such as a booking for an organised trip, proof that the place of accommodation is real, or a letter of invitation.

    In all cases, the tourist must be able to prove the availability of economic resources for the planned stay in Spain and the return or transfer to another country.  

    The maximum stay in Spain as a tourist is 90 days.

    You can consult more information and exceptions on the website of the Ministry of Interior

    Since conditions may vary, we suggest that you contact the Spanish Embassy or Consulate to verify these requirements before you start your trip.

  • Types of visas and where to get them

    Short-stay visas: this is the general visa for tourists and allows them to stay and travel through Spain for 90 days. They are issued by the embassies or consulates of Spain in the country of origin. Visas issued by any member of the Schengen Area are also valid.

    Long-stay visas: Required for any foreigner who wants to remain in Spain for more than 90 days, except for citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

    There is also a visa for international teleworkers who meet certain requirements and an airport transit visa required for some third countries.


  • Visa for international teleworkers (digital nomads)

    It grants residence for international teleworking for a maximum period of one year anywhere in Spain.  Non-EU citizens can apply for it to carry out work-related activity remotely, exclusively online, for companies located outside of Spain. In the case of self-employed professionals, their telework for companies based in Spain cannot exceed the limit of 20% of their total work-related activity.


    The specific requirements to be eligible for this visa are: actual, continuous activity for at least one year for the company or companies for which the individual works; documentary proof that the work can be performed remotely; and an employment or professional relationship in place for at least the last three months preceding the application. Applicants must be qualified professionals who are graduates or postgraduates from universities, reputed vocational training and business schools or have a minimum of three years of professional experience. 


    When the teleworker is outside of Spain, they must apply for a visa through the Spanish embassies or consulates. If they wish to continue residing in Spain after the visa has expired and they still meet the requirements, they can apply for a residence permit for international remote workers from the Large Business and Strategic Groups Unit (UGE-CE), within 60 calendar days before it expires. This permit is valid for a maximum of three years and can be renewed every two years.


    If the teleworker is legally in Spain (on a tourist visa, for example) they can apply directly for a residence permit for three years from the UGE-CE.